Tuesday, February 03, 2009

New Music Tuesday

As is typical on Tuesdays, a slew of new music was released. The first single to catch my eye was Black Weddingby Meg & Dia. This will be one of the songs on the upcoming album, Here, Here and Here, which is set to be released on March 3, 2009.

I was only vaguely familiar with them prior to listening to this single, so I approach it with a clean slate. Musically it sounds on par with Avril Lavigne or Taylor Swift. Although that is an accurate observation, I realize it may not be entirely fair. Singles are often uninteresting musically. They are designed to be catchy even to the person listening on the radio while ordering at the Carl's Jr. drive through. This single should work well on pop and so-called alternative radio.

Lyrically, it is somewhat more sophisticated. Dia posted the lyrics and an explaination of the meaning on her myspace blog, if anybody cares to check that out. Personally, I didn't love this song or the lyrics, but it is enough for me to want to check out some of their back catalog and possibly the new album.



[Edit: I found another new single from Meg & Dia, -- What If-- that sounds even more like Avril Lavigne. Oh well.]

No comments: