Monday, February 02, 2009

Coachella

The lineup for 2009 Coachella looks pretty damn good, at least for Friday. Paul McCartney seems to have been a bit of a boob since around 1970. The real headliner is Leonard Cohen. If all you did was show up for his performance, the ticket price would be worth it. Add in Franz Ferdinand and Conor Oberst (Bright Eyes), and Friday is set to be a great night. Of course, I can't forget about Morrissey. Wow. I'm somehow a bit ashamed to also admit that I'd like to see the Ting Tings. The only problem with Friday night is whether you'd be able to catch all of those shows.

Saturday is a bit of a dud in my view. I've always thought the Killers were overrated. Perhaps knowing the Mormon connection has clouded my judgment. Amy Winehouse might be interesting to see. I saw TV on the Radio in concert before and can't stand them either.

Sunday is also a dud with the huge exception of the Cure. I saw them when they headlined Coachella a few years ago and they gave a great show as always. I also saw them last year and for the first time they seemed to be a bit of a retro, novelty show. All the 30+ crowd forced their increasingly fat bodies into their old goth clothes and made a go of it one more time. The infusion of youth from the Coachella crowd will be a good thing, and some kids might discover a great band.

I'm envious of those of you who can make it to Coachella this year.

No comments: