Saturday, July 18, 2009

Vegetarian?

I've sometimes joked that I would just start eating meat. It sure would be easier to eat meat, but as a lifelong vegetarian I just never could.

Then I stumbled upon a blog called meatdiary the other day written by some woman who claims to be a lifelong vegetarian. That is, if you consider eating fish all of your life vegetarian. Oh, and she ate chicken as a kid. Then she's been eating chicken for the last 14 years as well (along with fish, and probably all other seafood as well as other poultry such as turkey). So this so-called vegetarian is blogging about her decision to eat meat this year. So what? You ate dead fish and dead chickens almost all of your life. Now you have a burger and think that is something?

I continue to be confused by how people call themselves vegetarian and then eat fish or even chicken. This isn't an attack on those people for their diet. Good for them. Words do have plain meanings, however. A vegetarian does not eat dead, rotting flesh.

An analogy? I go around telling people that I don't drink alcohol. Except I've been drinking beer since high school. Oh, and I just moved to Napa Valley, and it is almost socially necessary to drink wine here. So I usually have a glass of wine with dinner. But this year, I've decided to go crazy and start drinking alcohol. So I this week, I tried a martini. Next week, it will be a rum and coke. Wow! A lifelong teetotaler is now drinking alcohol, and it is great! Would anybody take me seriously if I started a blog about that?

No comments: