Friday, August 11, 2006

Cyborg


The most unpleasant development lately is the bluetooth headset for cell phones. I see these cyborgs walking around the city. The headsets look like they've been implanted into their heads. Peraonally, I've trashed my cell phone. I was in the heart of Los Angeles where coverage should have been perfect. I was calling another person who was also in the heart of the city. And it kept cutting in and out. Typical. So I let the contract expire and canceled the damn thing. There have been a few occasions when it would have been "nice" to have a cell phone. But I'm sure there were probably more occasions when it was nice to NOT have a cell phone. I don't WANT to always be available. And I certainly don't want to become a cyborg. I'm not up on the technology enough, but in Europe I never seemed to have problems with reception. And the rates were much cheeper and favorable to the consumer. I had a pre-paid plan there, and the minutes never expired. Here, the pre-paid plans include minutes that expire after 30 or 60 days or whatever. So you are essentially on a contract. In Euorpe, I could have the convenience of a cell phone for several months, make a few calls, and only pay a few cents. Plus, the reception was consistently good -- even when I was not in the town or when I went to other countries. Maybe I could become a cyborg if the reception were at least good.

No comments: